I Want To Brake Free

For a man whole cycles a lot, and even made his living out of cycling for several years, my bike collection is a disgrace.  Basically just two bikes, the newest of which is 8 years old.  It's a wonder that nobody has organised a telethon to raise funds to help me!  Both these bikes are lovely but the one that I use for touring suffers from two key deficiencies:

 1/  These days I like to use fatter tyres, which leave such little clearance with the frame that small stones get wedged, requiring me to stop and pick them out while muttering bad words.

2/  It uses rim brakes.  When screaming down a big hill with heavy panniers in the rain this can lead to more buttock clenching than is ideal.

It should be pretty obvious by now where this is going......I have a new bike.  Or, rather, I have a bike built with many new bits.  I have purchased a new frame and some new parts, supplemented by cannibalising the old touring bike, to create something to my exact requirements.  Those who have no interest in bikes should stop reading now. 

 The core of the new beast is a Kinesis Tripster ATR titanium frame with Range carbon forks.  This is sold as being for gravel or 'adventure' riding and most of the riding I do falls firmly into the latter category.  As well as having mounts for disc brakes and HUUUUUGE tyre clearance there are no fewer than five mounting points for ancillaries such as bottle cages (3 on the down tube and 1 on each fork).   I have dressed this with Ultegra Di2 electric shifters and mechs, hydraulic 160mm disc brakes and the crankset , seatpost, saddle, stem and handlebars from the old bike.  I have had new wheels built to my specification:  DT Swiss TK540 rims, Hope Pro4 hubs and heavy gauge double butted spokes.  They should be more or less indestructible, even when I ride with a full winter load of pies tucked inside my skin. I have accessorised these with a pair of 32mm Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons.

 I don't need two touring bikes so the remains of the old bike will be built back up using stuff knocking around at the back of the garage and sold to recoup much of the cost.

 This project was only conceived quite recently and the greatest challenge has been sourcing the parts.  It seems that the only ones making more money than mask manufacturers lately are anyone involved in making, selling or fixing bicycles and their components. At one point I was looking at getting the bike built for me but they said they couldn't even consider the project until.....NOVEMBER.  I couldn't wait until November because I want the bike for a little trip that kicks off on Sunday.  More about that later.

 PS If anyone needs a Shimano flat mount 160mm disc adapter I have what may be the only one in the county....make me an offer!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rage Hard

Now That's What I Call Music Volme 4

Drinking in L.A