I heard It Through The Grapevine


To keep my panniers as light as possible I am travelling with the absolute minimum of non-cycling kit.  This means just one set of evening clothes.  Imagine my delight when the barman threw a full pint over me in 'spoons yesterday evening.  He said it was an accident but I suspect he has been reading this blog.  The only upside was the large glass of wine I extorted from them by way of an apology but, as I stood in my pants washing my shoes in the sink later, this didn't feel sufficient.

Today it all went horribly wrong.  Thus far we have been enjoying a moderate tailwind but today was the day we turned and started bearing west and the tailwind became a crosswind then a headwind.  We were prepared for this.  What we weren't prepared for was the wind speed rising from 10-15mph to OVER 40.  Bugger!  Our average speed dropped so low that we turned off our speedometers and started using a calender.  Eventually we even gave that up and occasionally just asked passers by what century we were in.  Oh yes, to cap it all, the Great Scottish Drought has finished.

The high spot in a piss awful day is that our B&B provides access to a kitchen and we have procured tasty things for tea.  Even this isn't as great as it sounds because the only place to shop was 25 hilly miles before the finish so we had to haul food and halal recovery drinks over hills for the last 3 hours.

We should eat well tonight.....in addition to our own generous supplies the landlady has given us a family size lasagne left by a previous guest.

You may be wondering how any if this relates to the song......well there is a sort of link but you will have to think about it a bit.  To help you, think 1980s TV ads.  A fantastic prize to the first correct answer posted as a Facebook comment.  If there are no comments it will be because you are all fools, or nobody can be bothered....I will assume the former.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rage Hard

Now That's What I Call Music Volme 4

Drinking in L.A