Kings of The Wild Frontier




(Adam and The Ants)

The sheep station was great.  We slept in the shearers accommodation and all dined together at long tables, as I imagine the farm hands would have done during shearing time.  We had excellent roast lamb and bread & butter pudding, all washed down with the cheapest Merlot on the Nullarbor.  Neil even blagged leftover pud for today's lunch.

I know of people who have come to Oz for a 'swimming with dolphins' experience but last night I beat that with my 'peeing with kangeroos'.  I got up for a pee to find two ruddy great 'roos right outside our door.  They shuffled over a bit to give me room and watched me water the shrubs. I took the opportunity to give them a bit of advice about how to cross the road safely.

65 miles later and we are in Norseman.  There is no clearly defined start or end to the Nullarbor but Norseman is generally regarded as the western gateway so we have made it!!!  The town has road junctions, a shop and about 600 inhabitants so it is a REAL place......  shit, it even has a dolls museum.

I don't like it, it is far too busy.  I am writing this from the wardrobe where it is quiet and safe.

Partly because of the short day and yet another tailwind, but mainly because we are cycling gods, we were all done by 1pm.  We are celebrating with a small dry sherry and working out the toppings for tonight's pizza.  The hotel helpfully displays cardboard discs to show the sizes and we have confirmed that you could steer a bus with the large so we all sorted.  We are staying in the central 'hotel' (pub) in a simple room with access to the balcony where we are chilling.

Tomorrow we turn left, ignoring the direct route to Perth, and head towards to the coast and the prospect of a day off.


Comments

  1. Good idea to turn left. It will keep those tailwinds coming. Although if you are interested in mining Kalgoorlie is interesting. If you are going to Esperance you can inspect the big bit of skylab in their museum.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rage Hard

Now That's What I Call Music Volme 4

Drinking in L.A