He Ain't Heavy

Would you want to carry this lot home from Sainsbury's?  How about hauling it 800 miles round Florida on a bike?  Or 12,000 miles during the course of 2017?  Me neither.....which is why I won't be!  My diet is going well, with 11kg* (about the weight of the goods in the photo) lost since mid-December.  Another way of looking at it is that I have lost the equivalent of ALL the luggage I will be taking to Florida.  I will probably try and lose another 3kg but I'm comfortable with my present weight and can already feel the benefit on my training rides. 

I am quite interested in the basic maths of weight loss - the fundamental requirement to consume fewer calories than one burns (a trick that most diet regime's seem to overlook).   While researching this I discovered two vaguely interesting things:

1/  Calories are actually kilocalories.  Yup the Calorie (capital C) is a term invented by the food industry and equals 1000 calories (small c).

2/  If our bodies were capable of using petrol as fuel, a gallon would last us a fortnight.  It occurs to me that knocking back half a pint of unleaded each day would be much more convenient than all this buying, cooking and eating food malarkey.

We set off for Miami in just over a week and it can't come soon enough - the BBC weather for our arrival is sunny, 26 degrees C.  Of course, this is the BBC's prediction so likely to be about as accurate as a referendum poll.  I have stripped and cleaned the bike, greased my nipples and have a tantalising pile of stuff on the dining room carpet ready to go in a box.  In case Alan is reading, this is known as timely preparation.

* the use of a metric unit here is a token olive branch to the pervs who insist on using stupid made-up foreign measures.  Obviously I have really lost 24lbs! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rage Hard

Now That's What I Call Music Volme 4

Drinking in L.A