Last Train To Clarksville

My work is done.  I have spent the last 2 days cycling down the length of Lake Constance and along the Rhine, then 5000ft up to Davos.  This last bit was done in temperatures in the low 30's and got me glowing like a pig.  Finally, I turned around and cycled back down 5000ft to Bad Ragaz for a triumphal and lavish last dinner.  Since this is Switzerland I actually had self assembly ham sandwiches and a yoghurt from the supermarket...   15 quid!

I had decided to take the train to Zurich today.  The ride would only be 65 miles but I would be pretty sweaty and pungent for the flight home and, anyway, I'm due a rest.

I popped into the Tourist Office to enquire about the train.  The girl quizzed me about which of  many entitlements to discounted travel I had access to........precisely none as it turned out.  She sucked her teeth a bit and told me it would be no problem getting myself and bike on a train but it would be very expensive.  When a Swiss tells you something is going to be very expensive you start to worry.

As it turns out it is probably the same price as a comparable journey in the UK.... so yes pricey but laughably cheap by Swiss standards and with the following novel enhancements:

- the train arrived on time
- it was clean, air-conditioned and comfortable
- it had seats for all the passengers (I know this one is hard to believe)
- there was proper provision for bikes

The whole thing was completely unlike train travel as I know it - if they had come round offering free beer and a massage I wouldn't have been the least suprised!

The only downside to my travel arrangements is that they will deliver me to the airport about 6 hours before my flight.  Bugger.



Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rage Hard

Now That's What I Call Music Volme 4

Drinking in L.A