Steven


What of Steven Abraham and his attempt on the HAMR (Highest Annual Mileage record)?  Having lost about 6 weeks back in the spring with a broken ankle, the 2016 attempt was effectively dead in the water.  As of last night he had ridden a 'mere' 62,300 miles (Tommy Goodwin's 1939 record is 75065).  The beauty of the HAMR is that it doesn't have to be a calendar year so Steve re-set his trip meter in August and effectively started again.  This means that, at the end of this new 12-month period, he will have been riding 200+ miles per day for 19 months!!!  The man is clearly bonkers but you can't help admire him.

Meanwhile the Yank has been plugging away and had done 72,605 miles at the end of yesterday.  He actually started his attempt on Jan 10th so he has 17 days left to do about 2500 miles .  That is 'only' about 145 per day so he should comfortably make it.  I don't want to belittle his efforts (which are astonishing) but:

1.       He will probably beat the record by little more than 1000 miles despite having access to the very best kit the 21st century has to offer.  Tommy Goodwin set the record in 1939, long before lycra, carbon composites, high intensity LED lights and 22 speed gear sets.   Furthermore he has been riding in the US, where he can chase the good weather.  He has mostly been riding in Florida and I can tell you from my recent trip out there - it isn't the same as plugging away through a British winter!  There is obviously no way of making a true apples for apples comparison between the two efforts but in my book he would have to beat Tommy's record by more like 10,000 to really win.

2.       Steven is still going to be out there trying to take the record away from him.  Anyone whose response to a broken ankle isn't 'bollocks to that - I think I'll stop' but 'Ok, I'll just cycle an extra 36,000 miles'  is clearly pretty determined.

I suppose I should come clean regarding my own rather insignificant little annual mileage target.  With just 9 days to spare I did my 10,000 miles this year!  Embarrassingly, I was on 9,600 in mid-October so it has hardly been a spectacular sprint to the finish.  I don't suppose it is a figure I will ever achieve again, however I have a rather splendid little 2000 mile trip planned for late January, so 2016 will at least get off to a good start.  More on this in the new year.

PS  Alice Cooper

Comments

  1. Steve Abrahams frequently rides through our village and stops fro refreshment. He's almost got used to me cheering him on......

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rage Hard

Now That's What I Call Music Volme 4

Drinking in L.A