Breakfast at Tiffany's

‎Well, the wind kept it up for most of the night but today it has eased a little - just 25mph blowing straight from where I am heading - so I have decided to give it a go. Once I have finished my Ibis breakfast I will head off to find my route and document the last day.

There is much to admire about the land of Jonathan Foreigner. Their trains are superb, their cycle paths are a marvel and anything that requires engineering or manufacturing capability works in a way that makes us look like a bunch of Italians.   BUT their food is terrible.  ‎Their sausages (my international yardstick for fine dining) are called wurst which is a bit harsh but they are certainly not very good. In a country that seems to eat little but pork you would think they could knock out some nice herby sausages!  

But the very worst thing, and this applies to the whole of the Eurozone, is breakfast. It is little wonder that Eastern Europeans flock to the UK. It has nothing to do with immigration policies or the ease with which benefits can be obtained, they just want a decent fry-up. In the Romance countries they seem to recognise that thay can't do breakfast so don't try - they just put out a croissant and some bread and jam. In the Germanic countries they clearly know that more is required so they put out a magnificant spread of ALL THE WRONG things.  

Those who know me will know I don't like cucumber but surely any right-minded person will confirm that it has no place in the breakfast buffet!

.....time passes.....

Well, that was fun :-(. 76 miles into a raging headwind, with the odd cloudburst and hail shower to take my mind off the wind. I am now in the Hook of Holland at the entrance to the ferry, which I imagined would be a bustling little place with somewhere for food and a well-earned sports drink. Err, no. There is a grotty little cafe with no beer and, err, that's it. I have 3.5 hours to fill before we sail.

Tonight will be my longest ever ocean voyage and the sea condition is being described as 'rough'.  ‎I have a private vomitorium (they call it a sleeper cabin but I doubt if much sleeping will be done). Tomorrow morning it is straight off the boat for a Full English to settle my stomach, then a final 60 miles to the bosom of my family.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the EE network.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rage Hard

Now That's What I Call Music Volme 4

Drinking in L.A