Against The Wind

‎Bob Seger to save you the trouble.

Today I was due to cycle through Arnhem but for me it also proved to be a bridge too far. I had seen on last night's forecast that heavy rain and strong winds were due but I hadn't fully appreciated what we were in for. When I woke this morning it was pouring across......no, not down, it was raining horizontally. Bugger.

'Perhaps it might ease' I thought. I looked at the weather forecast. It seems that when the winds get above a certain level  the BBC uses black wind symbols rather than white and, bloody hell, the wind speed started with a FIVE!  That is not cycling weather! Bugger. 

After a bit of interwebbing a plan emerged: cancel tonight's hotel (not really on the rail network) and book one in Utrecht (a simple 2 train journey). So far so good. It seems  that not all trains allow bikes so my simple 2 train journey became a 4 train epic, starting with a train back to where I was yesterday luchtime. Did I mention BUGGER?

At least Germany and the Netherlands ‎are good countries for rail travel - like their cycle paths the network is efficient and 'joined up' - and I am now safe and sound in a hotel. During my train journey, isolated from the wind, I started to feel like a bit of a wuss. This feeling evaporated when I got on my bike to ride to the hotel and found myself blown to the ground within 200 yds. In the coming mile I saw 3 more riders blown off!!! It is the gustiness that is the problem - in my case I was braced against a vicious side wind when it suddenly dropped and physics took over.

The obvious flaw in my plan is that this is a research trip and it leaves ‎a 90 mile hole in my route notes. There is a solution: I will be revisiting this route in June as part of my next 'proper' adventure and can document the gap then.   'what adventure is that?' I don't hear you ask. You will have to wait and see!



Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the EE network.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rage Hard

Now That's What I Call Music Volme 4

Drinking in L.A