Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps Please

After yesterday's tough ride we were bowed but not beaten. Today turned out to be much better - we did sivinty sivin miles (my phone has developed a Kiwi accent) but thanks to an occasional stretch of slightlylesshill terrain and the odd breath of tailwind we coped pretty well.

It was a slow start to to the day as we navigated to the ferry terminal then waited for the boat and by the time we were in downtown Auckland it was 10am and 70 miles still to do.  Once clear of the city it was hilly as per usual.  I find it is convenient to measure hills by my speed going up and then down and this morning I had a 2.9/48.8 monster.

We were heading for a camp site in Miranda at the base of the Coromandel Peninsula which one of you will know well (hi Katie).  This is a splendid place in many respects but lacks one important amenity.......we are fond of a refreshing cold sports drink ( or beer as it is known locally) at the end of the day but the campsite has no bar or shop.  This is no problem for superheros like us - 20 miles from the end we took a 3 mile detour to the beer shop.  Unfortunately the best (ok, cheapest) beer was a pack of 15 bottles so, naturally, we bought it.  I seem to have more space (another way of saying less crap) than Neil so my last 20 miles were done hauling 11 beers.  I'm guessing there will be a lot less in the morning!!

Weather today?  Hot, sunny and clear skies....snigger!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rage Hard

Now That's What I Call Music Volme 4

Drinking in L.A