Under Pressure

The only reason I ever got into cycling was to combat a rapidly growing gut and a corresponding increase in blood pressure.  It had got to the point where the doctor was considering prescribing statins and so I decided to see if I could do anything about it by myself.  In the following 9 months, by cycling a lot and eating a little, I reduced my weight from approaching 16 stone to a tad under 13 and my blood pressure from 150/95 to 120/80.   As a happy accident I found a wonderful new hobby and, eventually, a completely new way of life. 

However, God would obviously prefer me to be an unfit fat bloke and any time I turn my back the pounds (of weight and blood pressure) pile back on.  I returned from Spain in early December at the end of my 'season'.  Although I felt in reasonable shape, a quick check with the scales and sphygmomanometer (that is a blood pressure gauge to you!) told me it was time to get back into rehab.  Since then I have ridden most days (on the bike when possible and on the Iron Maiden when not) and returned to more sensible eating.  Despite Christmas sitting in the middle of this period I have so far lost 10lbs and my weekly blood pressure check has just recorded 112/72....that at is actually a bit LOW!!  In 3 weeks I start my next cycling adventure (more later) so this is excellent news.

I am not writing this to be smug (I save that for my cycling trips) but to urge you to keep an eye on the truly vital statistics and to tell you that, with a bit of effort, you can transform your heath and happiness without the help of a doctor!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rage Hard

Now That's What I Call Music Volme 4

Drinking in L.A