I'm Still Standing

Actually I'm in bed in just my pants drinking beer......but I survived the Alps. 

Last night I had a damn good go at repaying the calorie debt I had accumulated but  we then both slept badly thanks to a torrential thunderstorm. We set out with some trepidation.  To my amazement the legs weren't too bad and were delivering low but steady thrust as we started a long slow climb that filled the morning.  We then threw all the altitude gain away and started all over again, this time it was serious bottom gear stuff as we climbed 4000 feet, through Switzerland and back into Italian Livigno.  To be strictly accurate Neil climbed a little more than me as he has an upset stomach and regularly climbed into the trees to do what bears do best.

The climb was mostly OK but suddenly we both hit a wall and we think that the thinner air may be to blame.  The last 700 feet of climb were done at 3mph with much stopping and quite a bit of swearing.

At the top the heavens opened and we rode the last 10 miles to our hotel so cold that we were causing the handlebars to shake.  We are now clean, dry, slowly warming up and feeling pretty pleased with ourselves.  We have another day in the alps but it is shorter and the big hill is smaller...nothing to gods like us!

I have been inundated with requests to know how Knobby is doing ( naturally this is a lie).  He has been busy testing the European rail network and is now in Switzerland and will ride to meet us at tomorrow night's stop.  I fully expect him to weep, hug us and generally make a scene.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rage Hard

Now That's What I Call Music Volme 4

Drinking in L.A