10,000 Miles (Dance Re-mix)

It is about a year ago that I last used this title.  I had considered quietly forgetting to report on the outcome of my attempt to ride 10,000 miles in 2014, but I figure the absence of a smug blog on December 31st will have given the game away anyhow.  I didn't even get close!  OK, since you are pressing me, I did a little under 7000 miles (head hung in shame).  It was, for me, an ambitious target given that I had a business to run and am a lazy sod. 
 
This year my resolve is stiffened (ooh err missus) and I have plenty of time so I will have another crack at it.  I have made a good start with training (600 miles so far) and I will get another 1800 miles under my belt before the end of Feb (I'll tell you all about it in the next blog) so I am hopeful. 
 
As usual, I must put my modest aims and achievements in the context of what the bigger boys can manage.  Let me introduce you to the guy in the photo....Tommy Goodwin was born in 1912 and set what is probably the longest-standing cycling record ever.  In 1939 Tommy rode 75,065 miles.  That is not a typo, he rode an average of over 205.6 miles per day FOR A YEAR!  He did this without carbon fiber (actually without even aluminum), without lycra, without 33-speed gear sets and, more importantly, without giving up.  Until recently it was speculated that the record would stand forever but, in 2015, there are 2 lunatics having a crack at it.  One is a yank so can be ignored but the other is Steven Abraham, a plucky Brit who is now 3 weeks into a very serious attempt.  http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/.
 
While I am quietly thrilled at having ridden 600 miles since Jan 1st, Steven Abraham has ridden 3710.    Chuffing Norah!
 
PS: Despite what I said in my last post about the life extending benefits of cycling, Tommy died at the age of 63 :-(
 
 

Comments

  1. I wish you well with your 2015 resolve.......and await the solution to the mystery of the 1800 miles and where they are going to come from.
    A little known fact about Tommy Godwin that, after completing the fast 100,000 miles in cycling history (he continued when the year was up), it took him several weeks/months to learn how to walk again........what does chuffing Norah have to say about that?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rage Hard

Now That's What I Call Music Volme 4

Drinking in L.A