If I Could Turn Back Time

If ever you are in the Inverness area on a Friday and looking for a lively night you could do a lot worse than avoid Muir of Ord.  Our hotel, the only pub, wasn't serving food so we walked into town where it appeared that Steven Spielberg had just finished filming some sort of post-apocalypse movie: nothing open, nobody on the streets and the odd bit of tumbleweed blowing along the pavement.  Even the fish and chip shop couldn't be arsed to open...on a FRIDAY NIGHT!  We managed to find a take-away offering a rather odd choice of kebabs and curries (served in pizza boxes for added novelty) and purchased some food which made up for in calories what it lacked in food-hygiene standards.  

I recall a meeting where a few of my co-riders and I met to kick around ideas for a group ride.  We considered all sort of destinations....mostly in those parts of Europe where the weather isn't consistently shite.  I'm ashamed to say that I think it was I that threw the NC500 into the mix and maybe I argued its case more forcefully than was wise.  Today I would give quite a lot to be able to go back and remind everyone that the weather in the Scottish Highlands is mostly diabolical.

Today was classically Scottish....freezing cold and mostly wet.  We are now in Locharron...staying in the best hotel in town.  Guess how many hotels there are?  Tonight there is some sort of football match on TV and a few of our group are footballists so I am brushing up on the offside rule.

Comments

  1. I'm amazed you didnt know about Muir of Ord! An Aussie on a trip was very upset when I described it as a God forsaken town as his family had originated from there, he sought me out later to apologise &say how right I was. Also re the Chip shop a quick google search on Muir of Ord Lizard Liz should tell you all you need to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, it’s Katie, chuckling at footballists :-) I am catching up on your travels!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll/Mr Tamborine Man/I Write The Songs

Julia's Song